Note: changes were brought to the online form regarding level of insurance requested and property and use of artwork.
What is Popsilos? A circuit that combines art and agrifood tourism in the Prescott-Russell countryside to celebrate Canada’s 150th.
Popsilos is looking for mural artists to paint on farm silos in Prescott-Russell. A total of four silo sites will be selected to create a circuit. The artists will work in teams of two to bring to life Canada’s 150th celebration themes: youth, diversity, the reconciliation of first nations and the environment. Each mural will cover approximately 4,000 square feet. (Exact dimensions will be confirmed to artists once silos are selected).
Artists can apply individually or in a team. Our objective is for young artists to gain experience through working in a team with an experienced artist. A stipend of $8,000.00 will be offered per silo. Materials (primer, paint) and equipment (lifts) will be covered by the Popsilos team. Accommodation for production weeks may be a possibility and will be discussed with selected artists.
Discovery of Prescott-Russell and Canada’s 150th celebration themes. Artists will meet with theme experts and will be required to interact with community members in planned activities to inspire their artwork.
Conceptualization of the artwork and mentorship. Artists will be required to develop the artwork concept for their silo while exchanging with local artists through scheduled work sessions.
Production of the mural (it may take less time, we’re banking on 4 weeks at most!)
Complete this online form and send your electronic submission package to email@example.com by March 31, 2017, 23:59 EDT.
- High resolution images of seven pieces of work
- An information sheet presenting details of each photo submitted: name, dimensions, media, year of production.
- Your artist’s statement.
- A sketch representing your vision of one of Canada’s 150th celebration themes listed above.
Artist selection (two per silo) will be communicated on April 7, 2017.
The online form will ask you to confirm the following. You :
- have the experience of having painted large format murals, outside.
- are free between May 8th and June 16th, 2017.
- respect the given theme(s) and incorporate the region’s culture. Canada’s 150th celebration themes are: youth, diversity, the reconciliation of First Nations and the environment.
- accept to work in teams of two artists for the realization of the artworks.
- accept to participate in a week of discovery activities that will provide valuable exchanges on the four themes and the region.
- accept to work with artists from Prescott-Russell to come up with the design for the artwork.
- have an insurance policy that protects you for up to $2,000,000.00 inclusively per incident per risk. (Once selected, you will be asked to present your certificate).
- accept that Popsilos requests the right to use the artwork, perpetually, for its communications and promotional purposes. Any commercial use for the artwork will be discussed with the artist(s).
This project is made possible with the participation of the Government of Canada.